1. Fore wing with enlarged spine-like
microtrichia on basal third of disc (A, B) (Polynema (Polynema)
dikobraz species-group) ...2
- Fore wing disc with microtrichia normal,
evenly sized across disc (a, b) ...all other Polynema species
2. Ovipositor extending forward underneath the
body to in front of the head (A); modified fore wing disc microtrichia numerous
and short (B) ...
Polynema sagittaria van Noort & Triapitsyn
- Ovipositor normal, not extending forward
underneath the body (a); modified fore wing disc microtrichia less numerous and
longer (b) ...3
3. Longest modified wing spine marginally
longer than wing width at point of spine attachment (A); mesosoma dark brown
(A); first flagellar antennal segment equivalent to pedicel length (A, B) ...
Polynema dikobraz Triapitsyn
- Longest modified wing spine far longer than
wing width at point of spine attachment (a); mesosoma mostly light brown with
some dark brown areas (a); first flagellar antennal segment longer than pedicel
length (a, b) ...Polynema species near P.